TeleHealth Services to Support You
We understand that the rapidly evolving health situation with COVID is tough for everyone in different ways, and there are particular challenges for those already living with health concerns and/or other stresses. Feelings of overwhelm, low mood and anxiety are being felt widely in our communities and we are keen to assist.
Our cinicians continue to provide appointments and have increased the options for how we deliver care through telehealth to allow us to prioritise your health and that of our community. Telehealth is ideally placed to help us connect while also limiting the risk of community transmission of COVID. Telehealth uses advances in communications technology to increase access and convenience to specialist health care providers for those isolated through distance, transport, health limitations, and/or the restrictions we face during the COVID health pandemic. Telehealth allows you to have your appointment with us without visiting our rooms so you can safely communicate with your Clinician and access emotional health care, advice and support.
Our experienced team having been providing telehealth interventions to those living in regional and remote NSW for many years and we know that over a decade of research has shown excellent outcomes for telehealth interventions.
Telehealth consultations may be covered under Medicare for eligible patients under COVID entitlements. A previous scheme has existed for many years for those who live in particular rural or remote areas of New South Wales. Contact us to help you understand if you are eligible as a rural and remote patient from your address, or visit the following site: http://www.doctorconnect.gov.au/internet/otd/publishing.nsf/Content/locator.
How Does Telehealth Work?
We will book your appointment in the usual way but we will “meet” each other via video conferencing or telephone rather than meeting in our clinic rooms. Many people are already familiar with using video conferencing methods such as Skype and Zoom to connect with family and loved ones. Our lovely administrative team will work with you to make this as easy as possible and will ask you for your preferred method of contact and will try to answer all of your queries.
To connect with us you will need: (i) a telephone, iPad or computer (ii) a working microphone and camera (if you wish for a visual connection), or be able to access equipment via your GP or a local health care centre.
Please keep your telephone handy so that we can assist you with technical issues or switch to telephone if there are any connection problems so that your appointment isn’t interrupted.
We use a reliable and easy to use video conferencing platform to meet. You will not need to download any special software – you can just click on our link to enter our virtual Waiting Room. Our virtual Waiting Room is located on HeadwayHealth’s home page on our website (green button on top right of screen) or found in our email signatures – just click onto our link https://vcc.healthdirect.org.au/t/headwayhealthswaitingroom/join and we will meet you in the WAITING ROOM at our appointment time! Our service is powered by CONVUI which meets best practice Australian privacy standards for confidentiality and data security, and is provided by HealthDirect.
For generic information to improve your cyber security and protect your online privacy on devices or when using online platforms, please see the Australian Government Attorney-General’s Department booklet Protecting Yourself Online .
Preparing For Your Appointment We offer the following checklist to help you make the best use of your telehealth appointment time:
- Please ensure your technology is set up with sufficient battery charge or available powerleads, a working camera and microphone, and that you have sufficient internet bandwidth to proceed. You may wish to test your computer, iPad or telephone equipment with a loved ones or our administration staff prior to your appointment.
- Please ensure you have a telephone close by.
- Please find a private space to talk free from other distractions and ensure others know not to disturb you; if you have a busy household you may like to place a sign on the door or find peaceful place in nature in which to sit or sit in your car.
- Please find a comfortable sitting position and have pencil and paper handy for writing notes. You may bring a list of notes to remind you about your goals and priorities for the appointment.
- You may wish to prepare with liquid refreshment (glass or water or cup of tea).
- Information will be provided on what will happen if there is a loss of connection during the appointment as we take your health and wellbeing very seriously. This will include attempts to reconnect via telehealth or phone, or contact with next of kin or crisis services if we have reason to be concerned.
- If for some reason an audio and visual connection is not possible, we will proceed with a telephone connection so our appointment can go ahead and we will try to problem-solve any issues for further appointments.
- Our Clinicians will often follow-up with notes or handouts via email to help you remember and consolidate the content of the intervention.
Our telehealth bookings are managed in the same way as in-room consultations so please contact us by telephone (02) 9435 3027 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your appointment.
We also offer telehealth appointments for professional supervision with other health care professionals.
For more information explaining how TeleHealth with your Psychologist works please watch the following 6 minute video: : https://youtu.be/wBDYmgAp9K4
We will send you the link for our virtual waiting room before your appointment, or please enter by simply going to this website Home Page and clicking the green button called WAITING ROOM.
If you would like to view our flyer to help improve awareness of our TeleHealth services for clients please (click here) or to view our flyer to update our wide network of valued referrers please (click here); let us know if you would like us to send you out copies of our flyers.
We hope you are able to take good care of yourselves and your loved ones, and we look forward to working together.